Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Thursday 4 February 2010

The Snake Stone

My latest reading has been The Snake Stone by Jason Goodwin. I am not normally a reader of crime fiction but this book is set in Istanbul 1838. The author is an historian who has written a very readable history of the Ottoman Empire, Lords of the Horizon. It is the second book in this series. I have read The Janissary Tree and would recommend that as well.

The main character and detective is Yashim the Enuch. I won't spoil the story other than to say it involves Byzantine treasure and several murders. The author really knows his way around 19th Century Istanbul and weaves in the sights and the polyglot peoples of this wonderful city. Lots of Balkan interest here both Ottoman and Byzantine and the Gallipoli battlefields are a reasonable drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment