Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Monday 23 August 2010

Musée de l'Armée

A recent trip to Paris was an opportunity to reacquaint myself with one of the world's finest military museums the musée de l'Armée.

I haven't been there for many years. Although most of the galleries are as I remembered them the temporary exhibitions are a good way to bring out items that don't always make it to permanent display. The highlights for me are the uniform collections, particularly of the Napoleonic period.

A few photies to give a flavour, starting of course with the Balkan interest. An Ottoman Spahi, usually mounted on a fully armoured horse.


Then the amazing Vauban relief models of his fortifications. When I first visited the museum, 30 plus years ago these were just spread around the attic. Now they are well presented.

 

and finally the man himself, Napoleon's Tomb


No comments:

Post a Comment