Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Sunday 11 March 2018

Canadian Warplane Museum and Niagara Military Museum

These are a couple of museums I visited on my recent trip to Canada. Both are worth a look.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is situated next to Hamilton International Airport. I probably didn't see it at its best because the building was hosting a wood exhibition. Wood carving is clearly a popular hobby in Ontario, at least judging from the stalls and visitors.

I therefore assume the planes are little better spaced out normally. They have a number of classics like the Lancaster bomber, Spitfire and Hurricane, as well as more obscure Canadian produced aircraft. Here are a few photos and the list of planes is on the website.







and a model of a Canadian Air Force base in Burma


finally a memorial to troops killed in Afghanistan



The Niagara Military Museum is housed in the former Niagara Falls Armoury, built in 1911. It's a real gem of a museum covering the military history of the people and the local area. The volunteer guide was very helpful and hugely knowledgable. This added much to the experience. I recognise the falls are the tourist draw, but don't miss this museum.






No comments:

Post a Comment